Middle East (Mideast)
Middle East, generally
- Looklex Encyclopaedia - A reference work covering the culture and history of the Middle East and North Africa (formerly Encyclopaedia of the Orient)
- Global Connections: the Middle East - An educational site from PBS
- Library of Congress:
- MERIA Research Guides (Middle East Review of International Affairs)
- Middle East Institute - Policy institute interested in the region from Mauretania to Kazakhstan
- Middle East North Africa Internet Resource Guide (U. of Utah)
- Middle East Studies Internet Resources (Columbia University Middle East and Jewish Studies Library)
- History in the News: The Middle East (SUNY Albany)
- Internet Islamic History Sourcebook (Paul Halsall, Fordham)
Middle East News
- Access Middle East - News from many sources, including media outlets and think tanks. The sponsors support Israel and believe objective reporting best serves all parties.
- Al Jazeera - Sponsored by the government of Qatar, Al Jazeera presents news and viewpoints not always found in the American media, which is not to say it's unbiased. (English-language version)
- Arab Reform Bulletin - Monthly briefs on political developments (Carnegie Endowment for International Peace)
- Integrated Regional Information Networks (IRIN) - News from Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Iran, and Syria (United Nations)
- Middle East Media Research Institute - Translations of local news media
- Middle East News Online - Distributes news articles from the local media. Consider the source as you read them. (Not a bad idea for any media you consume.) But it has perspectives we don't hear often in the U.S.
- al-Bab.com - All kinds of information about the Arab world. Even the page on Jews in the Arab World is reasonably evenhanded.
- ArabDataNet - Basic info about Arab countries, from the U.S.-Arab Chamber of Commerce
- ArabNet - Information on Arab
nations and peoples.
Warning: The section on Palestine is misleading. For example, the topography subsection ignores the sovereign state of Israel, and it specifically includes the Galilee and the Negev, even though those regions are part of Israel under the 1949 borders that the United Nations and most Arab leaders claim to support.
- See my Judaica/Israel page