Politics and Law
This page deals with politics and law generally. For sites on the politics and law of specific nations, see:
- Political Resources (Richard Kimber, University of Keele, U.K.)
- Keele Guide to Political Thought and Ideology on the Internet - Same school, different page with a different outline of politics
- Electoral Geography - Maps of election results in different countries
- Foreign Governments - Links to official sites of governments and government departments (Northwestern University Library)
- Governments on the WWW - No longer updated; some links are still good, however
- Parliaments on the Web
- Political Resources on the Net - Links to sites on the governments, political parties, elections, and media in every country
- Comparative Constitutions Project
- Consitute - "The world's constitutions to read, search, and compare"
- Constitution Finder - Constitutions (or similar basic laws) of the world
- World Public Opinion - Opinion on issues around the world
Political systems in different countries.
- Avalon Project - Historic documents, with an emphasis on treaties and other international agreements
- Full Text Reports - Reports from government agencies, non-profits, think tanks, etc. as discovered by librarians Gary Price and Shirl Kennedy
- Journalist's Resource - "Research on today's news topics"; includes links to studies on current events
- FindLaw - A portal for all kinds of legal information
- GlobaLex - Guide to international law
- Hieros Gamos - U.S. and international law
- Law and Politics: Internet Guide - U.S., Foreign, and International legal sources
- Law Library of Congress
- Guide to Law Online - Links to guides and primary texts for U.S. federal law, U.S. state law, laws of other nations, international law
- Famous Trials - From Socrates' trial to the present (University of Missouri, Kansas City)
- Trademark Checklist - Trademarked words and phrases (International Trademark Association)
- Robert's Rules of Order - 1915 ed. (Bartleby)
- Alternative Press Center: Links - "A list of our friends, allies, and useful resources"
- Bad Subjects - "Promotes radical thinking and public education about the political implications of everyday life." (EServer)
- Bureau of Public Secrets - The Situationist movement, various other subversive essays, and Kenneth Rexroth. I'm not sure what it all means, but there's a lot of interesting stuff here.
- IGC's Progressive Directory
- Jay's Leftist and "Progressive" Links (quotation marks Jay's)
- Arguing for Socialism - A bibliography by Mark Rosenzweig
- Socialist International - Organization of democratic leftist parties around the world
- WebActive - Current news and an extensive directory of links
- World Liberalism [TurnLeft.com]
- World's Smallest Political Quiz - Find out what your political philosophy is.
If you think this list is one-sided, make your own.
Human Rights and Civil Liberties
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) - See especially the Cyberliberties page
- Amnesty International
- Human Rights Watch
- Minorities at Risk
- U.S. State Dept.:
- EcoNet (IGC)
- Environmental Organization WebDirectory
- High Country News - "For people who care about the West"
- Mother Earth News - For those who want to practice what they preach
- National Environmental Directory
- Greenpeace International (What's this?)
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF) (aka World Wide Fund for Nature)
- United Nations
- United Nations System of Organizations - Index of the constituent parts of the U.N.
- International Governmental Organizations (Northwestern U.)
- International Organizations and Groups (CIA World Factbook)
- City Mayors - News about city government worldwide
- ReliefWeb - News on relief efforts around the world. News comes from governmental and non-governmental organizations, news outlets, think tanks.
- U.S. House Committee on Foreign Affairs - Hearings, etc.
- African Union - Formerly Organization of African Unity
- Arab League
- Arctic Council
- Assocation of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- The Commonwealth - Organization of (mostly) former British colonies
- European Union (EU)
- Francophonie, Organisation de la - French-speaking nations and those with an affiliation with French culture
- Group of 8 (G8)
- Group of 20 (G20)
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) - The major industrialized nations
- Organization of American States (OAS)
- Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Chatham House: The Royal Institute of International Affairs - British research organization on international affairs
- Council on Foreign Relations
- Foreign Affairs - The most prestigious U.S. journal on the subject
- Foreign Affairs Online - International relations, from a U.S. perspective
- Foreign Policy Magazine
- International Boundaries Research Unit - Updates on the world's boundary disputes (Durham University, U.K.)
- International Relations and Security Network
- Migration Information Source - Voluntary and involuntary (i.e., refugees) (Migration Policy Institute)
- United Nations Depository Libraries by Country
- United Nations Depository Libraries in the U.S.
- Eldis: Gateway to Development Information - All aspects, kept current
- Engaged Buddhist Dharma Page - A Buddhist perspective on human rights and other issues
- Oxfam - The relief and development organization
Selected International Organizations:
Many of these organizations have a regional focus.
Charities and Other Good Causes
- Charity Navigator - Ratings and data on chartities
- Foundation Center - Find one to fund your project!
- Give.org - Information on charities (Better Business Bureau (BBB) Wise Giving Alliance)
- GuideStar - Information on non-profits and how to help your favorite causes
- Idealist.org - 29,000 nonprofit and community organization
- Meta-Index for Non-Profit Organizations
- Network for Good - Helps you find organizations where you can donate your money or time
- Volunteer.gov - America's natural and cultural resources volunteer portal
- Volunteer Match - Find volunteer opportunities