U.S. generally |
U.S. History |
U.S. Biography |
U.S. Geography and Travel |
U.S. Ethnic Groups |
Regions and Local
- International Information Program - Overview of U.S. government and society for an international audience, as presented by the U.S. State Dept. (formerly America.gov)
- American Memory - Collections
from the Library of Congress on many themes in our history.
- Atlas of the Historical Geography of
the United States - Great historic maps, originally published in the 1930s
- Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) - A collection of
state/regional and subject-matter hubs of digital materials [dp.la]
- AmDocs: Documents for the Study of American History - Chronological list from 800 to the present
- American History and Historical Documents (George Welling, U. of Groningen, Netherlands)
- American Women - A gateway to resources in American women's history (American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
- Archive of American Images - Images (including maps) of the Americas, 1492-1825 (John Carter Brown Library, Brown University)
- A Chronology of U.S. Historical Documents (U. of Oklahoma College of Law)
- Digital History - Timelines, topics, documents, music, film from American history (University of New Hampshire)
- Discovering American Women's History Online - For many topics, gives print and online resources (Ken Middleton, librarian, Middle Tennessee State University)
- Electronic Texts for the Study of American Culture - Historical documents and literary texts (U. of Virginia)
- History Matters: The U.S. Survey Course on
the Web - Primary documents, syllabi, advice for teachers, quizzes, recommended web sites --
for high school and college students and their teachers
- History Wired - Browse
artifacts from the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History;
uses an interesting site map interface
Making of America
The Making of America project is a joint venture by
Cornell University and the University of Michigan to scan 19th century
books and magazines and make them available on the Web.
- Cornell - Collection includes more than 200 monographs and almost 1,000 serial
volumes from 1840-1900. Browsable and searchable.
- University of Michigan - Collection includes about 10,00 books and 50,000 journal articles.
U.S. Geography and Travel
- 50 States - Facts about the states
- AllPlaces - Statistics, Web links
- Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) (U.S. Geological Survey)
- HomeTownLocator: Gazetteer - Physical features, census data, community profiles, aerial photos, distances, weather, Zip codes
- Langenberg.com: Zip Codes - Everything you want to find out about Zip codes — Cities and counties, distances, census data, maps
- U.S. Gazetteer - Look up place names (U.S. Census)
- U.S. States Puzzle - Can you put all the states in their correct places and pass the third grade?
- Ask.com Maps and Directions - Walking as well as driving directions for the U.S. and Canada
- Bing Maps
- Mapquest - Get maps and plan trips anywhere in the U.S.
- Mapblast - Similar to Mapquest
- MelissaData: Free Lookups - Maps and aerial views
- National Map
- TerraFly - Enter an address, get an aerial photo
- Terraserver - Aerial photos of the United States. Zoom in for more detail.
- Atlas of the Historical Geography of the United States - Great historic maps,
originally published in the 1930s
- USGS Historical Topographic Map Explorer - Choose an area in the U.S. and find historical topographic maps (U.S. Geological Survey)
U.S. Ethnic Groups
- Afro-American Almanac
- Black Quest - Black/African-American history
- BlackPast - "The Online Reference Guide to African American History"
- HuffPost Black Voices
- In Motion: The African-American Migration Experience - The story of African-Americans coming to the U.S. and moving within the country, told in text, images, and maps (Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, New York Public Library
- JavaNoir's Guide to African American Resources on the Internet
- National Museum of African American History and Culture, Washington, D.C. (Smithsonian)
- Universal Black Pages
- Voyages: The Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database - An attempt to document all the voyages of the slave trade [slavevoyages.org]
- Asian Nation - "The Landscape of Asian America"
- Denshō: The Japanese-American Legacy Project - Preserves testimonies of Japanese-Americans unjustly interred during World War II [densho.org]
- Gold Sea Asian American Supersite - News, features, celebrities
- Asian-American Bibliography: Asian American Resources
- ¡Ask a Mexican! - Column in the OC Weekly that answers your questions
- Celebrating Hispanic Heritage - History, culture, biographies
- Hispanic/Latino page - Many links (Latin American Network Information
Center, University of Texas)
- Hispanic Vista - News
- Latino News Network (LATNN)
of North America - An annotated list of reference Websites (Alcove 9, Library of Congress)
- A Critical Bibliography of North American Indians, for K-12 (Smithsonian Institution)
- Native Culture
- WWW Virtual Library - American Indians - "Index of Native American resources on the Internet"
U.S. Regions and Local Information